At University Hospital of Martinique (CHU de Martinique), several types of Cardiac Surgical procedures are performed all around the clock. Patients are comming from all around the surroundings islands such as Guadeloupe, French Guyana, St-Marteen, Saint-Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, Trinidad, Netherlands Antilles and beyond. The Head of Cardiac Surgery, Pr François ROQUES, MD, PhD, gave a major contribution to the creation of Euroscore which is now one of the most famous Worldwide Risk Score for cardiac Surgery. The Center is the only one having such a central Caribbean location. Our team is also the only one all over the Caribbean with regular experience and expertise of primary implantation of ECLS/ECMO support in another caribbean local hospital followed with air transportation of patients on ECLS/ECMO support.
- Cardiac Surgical Procedures are mostly performed using a Heart-Lung-Bypass Sytem (on-Pomp) but some patients can be treated without this special machine (Off-Pump Coronary Artery ByPass, CABG) allowing a more rapid postoperative recovery
- CABG is a surgical procedure in which one to four blocked coronary arteries are bypassed by a blood vessel graft to restore normal blood flow to the heart. Graft used come from the patient’s body (thoracic or arms arteries, legs veins...). Following the graft implantation beyond the most narrowed part of the coranary artery, a better perfusion of the Heart muscle (myocardium) is obtained giving more power to all the body
- Procedures can be combined such as CABG and Valvar Surgery or CABG and Aortic Aneurism repair...
- On request, some critical Caribbean patients might be started (by our very specialized Caribbean Circulatory Support Mobile Unit) on extra-Corporeal Life Support (ECLS/ECMO) support prior to any air transportation to our Cardiac Center
- Following the surgery, patients are carefully observed for a while on a dedicated Cardiac Surgical ICU. During this usually short post operative period, patient's access trelatves is possible but restricted. When major life support equipements are weaned-off (ventilator, ECMO/ECLS, strong IV medications for the Heart) patients are admitted on the Standard Cardiac Surgical Ward and followed-up by anesthetists, Cardiologists, Surgeons, dedicated nurses and physiotherapists
- Discharge date is variable from one patient to another, but the mean lenght of stay can be estimated on admission after a full pre operatve assessmen
►Read more about Cardiac surgical procedures performed at UHM
►Read more about our Caribbean Circulatory Support Mobile Unit